[nSLUG] copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 5 01:58:17 AST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 19:05 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
>

> I continue to assume the limitation is me not knowing enough about
> what the heck I'm doing.  And, it's got me further doubting myself
> about why I'm trying to get more at home in the no-frills console.
> After all, redundancy abounds if I can open a terminal window within
> x-windows, or 66 of them or whatever. Why do I need the console array
> (Ctrl + Alt + f1...fn)?

Think server environment - it 6 different screens to have fun with.
  syslog can send output to one screen
  error messages to another
  logs to another
  also multiple logins when sitting at the keys

Plus F7 thru F12 are 6 X screens you can redirect output to.
	Normally X is being written to display 0 (F7)

If you need to paste from console to console, no gui, gpm works fine for
that.  just watch your screen buffers when switching consoles.. they do
get lost.  I'm not sure if you can control the buffer size of each
console, but it seems to lose it when you swap screens.  It never
bothered me that much to actually see if it could be extended.

If its a lot of text, better off saving to a file  then editing out what
you don't want.

In my xterms screens, first thing I do is bump up the buffer 4096 this
is great for reading material and examining output.

Rich

!DSPAM:45c6c77451878632213106!