[nSLUG] Re: copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 01:41:51 AST 2007

On 2/5/07, Mike <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Not at all.  I normally use X but no "desktop" -- no KDE or Gnome --
> and a very simple window manager.  And I *still* do almost everything
> inside Emacs.  At the moment I'm reading email and replying just as I
> would do in a console if X were unavailable. X allows me to have
> multiple instances of emacs running at once as well as unadorned
> xterms, xclock, entertaining rootwindow and, of course, a GUI browser.
> It's a convenience that I don't normally forego, thus the word
> "obliged".  OTOH, I have a 2nd, little-used backup POP3 email account
> that I read as a 2nd user on my own machine.  I switch into a console,
> log in as the other user and start an instance of emacs to read that
> mail.

Okay, "obliged", I get your drift better now.

> In my blacksmithing work, I worked for several years with only hand
> tools and *no electricity* at all.  I learned to do stuff that some
> guys never learn because a drill press or a grinder or an electric
> welder is soooo much easier.  I did some very creditable work under
> that setup and don't regret it a bit.  Knowing how to work effectively
> in the console is similar to knowing how to hot punch a hole or do a
> forge-weld.  There are artistic reasons for doing those things as well
> but you learn how quicker and better when it's the only way you have
> to perforate or join.

Yeah, this analogous work, works, I'd say.

> And for all that I crusade for GNU Emacs, I have no argument against
> vi[m].  In fact, I feel a little sheepish about having to cookbook
> from a vim cheat sheet when booted into a rescue or other session
> where emacs isn't available.
>
> For authentically primitive text editing, I have a keypunch program
> that I wrote under MS-DOS when I had some proprietary libraries
> available.  It displays an IBM card.  When you type, text is added to
> the card, proper holes are punched and chad piles up at the bottom of
> the screen. Limit of 80 uppercase caracters per card.  But the "cards"
> are kept in RAM so you can insert new cards, view the deck one card at
> a time, delete cards, save the deck to a file etc. And periodically
> you have to empty the chadbox. Fully functional (for very primitive
> values of "functional") text editor.

I think I get it. Besides the direct functionality of the primitive,
it also takes a sophisticated up-to-date-ness to fully appreciate the
genius of functional origins. It's a humbling experience, or should
be. We might say, therefore, that blacksmiths are an 'endangered'
species, endangered because while there aren't many left, we still
value the genius of their art and don't want it to be forgotten.

Thanks for the lesson!

Bob

!DSPAM:45c6c3a350832669613826!