[nSLUG] Re: copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Feb 5 01:05:28 AST 2007

> I enjoyed this post, Mike.

Oh, good. :-)

> You had me going until I read that cue word "obliged to use the
> console", which for me managed to invert your post of deadpan
> precision into tongue-n-cheek irony.

Um, not sure but I think you're misreading me somehow.

> If I read you right, then, you may be hinting that one need not get
> all entangled in all these strings and subtle knots of console
> contortions. That keeping it simple, going with what works, and
> leaving it at, is probably the best policy.

Not at all.  I normally use X but no "desktop" -- no KDE or Gnome --
and a very simple window manager.  And I *still* do almost everything
inside Emacs.  At the moment I'm reading email and replying just as I
would do in a console if X were unavailable. X allows me to have
multiple instances of emacs running at once as well as unadorned
xterms, xclock, entertaining rootwindow and, of course, a GUI browser.
It's a convenience that I don't normally forego, thus the word
"obliged".  OTOH, I have a 2nd, little-used backup POP3 email account
that I read as a 2nd user on my own machine.  I switch into a console,
log in as the other user and start an instance of emacs to read that
mail.

In my blacksmithing work, I worked for several years with only hand
tools and *no electricity* at all.  I learned to do stuff that some
guys never learn because a drill press or a grinder or an electric
welder is soooo much easier.  I did some very creditable work under
that setup and don't regret it a bit.  Knowing how to work effectively
in the console is similar to knowing how to hot punch a hole or do a
forge-weld.  There are artistic reasons for doing those things as well
but you learn how quicker and better when it's the only way you have
to perforate or join.

And for all that I crusade for GNU Emacs, I have no argument against
vi[m].  In fact, I feel a little sheepish about having to cookbook
from a vim cheat sheet when booted into a rescue or other session
where emacs isn't available.

For authentically primitive text editing, I have a keypunch program
that I wrote under MS-DOS when I had some proprietary libraries
available.  It displays an IBM card.  When you type, text is added to
the card, proper holes are punched and chad piles up at the bottom of
the screen. Limit of 80 uppercase caracters per card.  But the "cards"
are kept in RAM so you can insert new cards, view the deck one card at
a time, delete cards, save the deck to a file etc. And periodically
you have to empty the chadbox. Fully functional (for very primitive
values of "functional") text editor.

> I'm sure you'll let me know if I've misconstrued your meaning.

Just so, Bob.  ;-)

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:45c6bc1a47842081013614!