[nSLUG] copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 00:33:23 AST 2007

Interesting, the influential hand of history in this copy/paste plot.
The legacies leave remnants. While I didn't achieve what I intended, I
did learn a thing or two from this thread.

First, console-to-gui integration doesn't seem to be a priority for
more experienced users; what I thought would be a common task turns
out to be rather eccentric, or perhaps even a telltale sign of my
inexperience.

Second, I do believe that over time I've come under the influence of
linux advocacy's persuasive rhetoric, its subtext implying that the
OSS potential is nature-pure, nature-perfect. The Microsoft/Linux
debate thus has a certain cartoon quality about it, of dark evil
versus unblemished brilliance.  I guess I've followed too many
flame-wars in Usenet's comp.os.linux.advocacy.

Third, not to be ignored, part of linux is its historically-evolving
character. It's not the unified masterpiece of a master designer. Not
being an untouchable gallery piece (read closed source), it's much
more fun, very touchable, if touchy by times.

Thanks for everyone's instructive input!

:-)

bob