[nSLUG] copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 19:05:30 AST 2007

On 2/4/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Either select the text and then paste the selection register in vim, or select and copy (or cut) the text, normally via ^C (or ^X), and then paste the system clipboard in vim:
>
> "+p             for the system clipboard
> "*p             for the selection register

This works fine within the X windows environment, but it doesn't work
when pasting from an X-environment app to the console. They're not
cooperating.

> Or see "help x11-selection" from within vim.

This was instructive reading, elaborating on your distinction between
the + and * registers. This help section, however, restricts its
discussion to x11 only, without reference to copy/paste between x11
and non-x11 (console) environments.

I continue to assume the limitation is me not knowing enough about
what the heck I'm doing.  And, it's got me further doubting myself
about why I'm trying to get more at home in the no-frills console.
After all, redundancy abounds if I can open a terminal window within
x-windows, or 66 of them or whatever. Why do I need the console array
(Ctrl + Alt + f1...fn)?

Probably for the same psychological impulse which impelled me to get a
manual, push-reel lawnmower, even though I've already got a
gas-powered job in the shed.

:-)

bob

!DSPAM:45c666bd30192002212387!