[nSLUG] copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 11:30:16 AST 2007

On 2/4/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

>  So far, I've only seen you mention the Windows Control-C/Control-V
>  thing which Linux has supported for ease of transition.  The original
>  copy/paste in Unix is still there: left mouse highlight does a copy,
>  middle mouse button click does a paste.  That should work in any
>  X environment.

Thanks for steering me back to Unix command environment here. Yeah, that works.

>  Within vi there are also some ways to paste in some text.
>
>  1. Yank (copy) one line: YY
>  Following by paste : p
>
>  2. Mark one end of selection: mz
>  Yank and copy from end of selection to current line: y'z
>  Paste the above: p
>
>  3. Suck in another file into current position:
>  goto : prompt with ':',
>  then 'r filename' at the prompt,
>  where filename is a relative or full path
>  to the file you want to insert inside your first file.

Thanks, I'll file these tips.

>  Perhaps your stuff starts off in the web browser, but
>  don't forget it has save as.  This can be easier than
>  mouse copying if it is large.

The only issue left now is how to paste text (e.g. a web page excerpt
of text, not the whole page) into vim on the console.

Is this because the Linux console does not share the same clipboard as
the X environment? It seems that as long as I'm in X windows
copy/paste between any application is now straightforward for me.  I
guess my aim here is to try to learn how to do more stuff without a
dependency on a GUI of any kind.

Appreciate your input.

Bob

!DSPAM:45c5fc096235352117654!