[nSLUG] copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 07:21:00 AST 2007

On 2/4/07, Robert Ashley <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:

> And all is well that ends well.... Thanks for the solution, Rich.
>
> Well....erm...almost well.  I'd like to do this in the console.  It
> looks like I have to enable the mouse in the console environment
> somehow??? Or is there a keyboard solution?

So far, I've only seen you mention the Windows Control-C/Control-V
thing which Linux has supported for ease of transition.  The original
copy/paste in Unix is still there: left mouse highlight does a copy,
middle mouse button click does a paste.  That should work in any
X environment.

Within vi there are also some ways to paste in some text.

1. Yank (copy) one line: YY
Following by paste : p

2. Mark one end of selection: mz
Yank and copy from end of selection to current line: y'z
Paste the above: p

3. Suck in another file into current position:
goto : prompt with ':',
then 'r filename' at the prompt,
where filename is a relative or full path
to the file you want to insert inside your first file.

Perhaps your stuff starts off in the web browser, but
don't forget it has save as.  This can be easier than
mouse copying if it is large.

--Donald

!DSPAM:45c5c334296361987819208!