[nSLUG] copy/paste...web-->vim...unexpected results

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sun Feb 4 00:00:15 AST 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 23:22 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> Trying to learn vim.  One goal: to paste web text into a vim .txt file.
>
> I can copy text from a web page (iceweasel) to vim in a gnome terminal.
>
> Crtl-C (in iceweasel)
> Shift + middle click mouse in vim (gnome terminal)
>
> But even this doesn't work perfectly. The first three text characters
> (and/or spaces) of whatever I copy is not reproduced in the pasted
> text.

What are you pasting - HTML code or just selecting displayed text, copy
and paste?

Displayed text may contain hidden characters, (char160) that may cause
problems, also some embedded CSS codes may cause weird results.  Can we
test the site name to test ourselves?

Do you have auto indenting or such enabled in vim?  Also, make sure you
(O)pen a line, or set mode to (i)nput before pasting, otherwise your
first couple characters might be interpreted as commands.

Before turning input mode on, enter  :set noai  (this turns off
intelligent indenting)

Are you just trying to snag the page?  (wget is faster)

> The same procedure fails when using vim in a console terminal. Nothing pasted.
>
> I'd prefer to work in the console.

I seen this odd behavior pop up with browsers not populating the
clipboard buffer.  see if its a bug. :)

Regards
Rich

!DSPAM:45c55a49265267861849445!