[nSLUG] Re: Non-install stuff that fits installfest lessons

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:44:33 AST 2007

On 2/2/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 10:57:30PM -0400, Oliver Doepner wrote:
> > Chris Jordan wrote:
> > >Can I suggest that we put up a list of suggestions for tutorials on the
> > >wiki and then have a sign-up for people that are interested in attending
> > >and a sign-up for people willing to run them?
> >
> > Sounds good to me. For convenience and transparency we could do the
> > signing up also on the wiki page. Or are there any privacy concerns?
>
> I don't think there are any privacy issues in attending or giving a
> tutorial. I suppose if someone feels strongly enough on the subject
> they could just... not sign up and attend anyway.

A couple of suggestions.

1) Concurrent sessions, maybe 2 or 3, with invitation for people to
"surf" or change sessions, perhaps after an hour or so. Some will be
curious what's going on "next door."

2) A "discovery group" where you don't need anyone to "run" it. You
could call this a "bull session", but it could still be topic-driven.
Or, this could be looser, an "in-person" version of the mail-list,
where almost anything might come up. Or instead, participants might be
asked to prepare a list of interests ahead of time (i.e. an agenda).
Instead of a teacher/expert type of person you look for a
moderator/facilitator type.

Both suggestions aim to relax structure a little bit, without loosing
it entirely. This is because getting people to "run" a session might
be a tough assignment.

I suppose another way to do it is to purposely and publicly merge
non-install oss topics with the next installfest. Expand the reach of
the installfest. Or, include installations again as a topic on a
workshop day.  Just narrow the scope on it.

Just ideas, all expendable of course.

An aside: Is the student group gathering any data on participants who
attend the installfest? It might be useful for future use, to start
building profiles of people to target for such events. A short 5-10
question survey would do the trick. The data could evolve into a
student project of some academic kind.

bob

!DSPAM:45c3161659328414874649!