[nSLUG] Re: Non-install stuff that fits installfest lessons

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Feb 1 17:06:13 AST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 00:28 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> Hey Rich, put your list in alphabetical order and we can properly call
> it 'encyclopedic'.
>
> I'd like to put early dibs in on some of the your time at the
> installfest, if you'd be so kind to indulge me here.  I do have a
> couple of specifics from your list, one being to set up a camera (I
> got the manual and specs-->Canon Powershot A620),  Also interested in
> understanding the compiling kernel rituals and compiling additional
> software. Maybe a leisurely tour of gimp.

Sorry I wasn't there to help you through these steps.

I checked the Powershot A620, is should work fine in PPM mode.
Do you have a dock or straight USB cable?  My Fuji uses a USB cable and
PPM mode. The only issue I found with gphoto2 is the limitation of 1024
pics, with the new 2GB cards you can get upto 1500 photos or more.  :) I
almost filled one up... I had about 20 pics left.. hehe.

Anyway, if you have a 2GB card, I can tell you how to patch the
libphoto2 and it will work fine.  They are fixing this in the next
release of libs.  I would definitely check what version you have on your
system - the older one's had some memory leaks.  The latest is very good
and stable, also about 50% faster when downloading images to the pc.
Nice optimizations. :)

If you have USB enabled it will autodetect (the new Gnome 2.14+ has
automated device detection controls, so you can enable or disable, and
also tell what app to launch when detected).  I disabled the auto
feature, I like gphoto2 cmdline - much faster than waiting for 900
thumbnails to be created.

When you plug in the camera, bring up a console and type dmesg (it will
do a quick tail of messages) also lsusb should show it connected.  The
only thing with PPM mode, the camera's id's aren't really detected yet.
Maybe in future releases.  So you will see "PPM device connected".

To get your pics, I always make a new dir, then type:
	gphoto2 --list-files

he number id you want is the number of the image in the list, not the
actual filename. Then once I figure out where I left off:
  	gphoto2 --get-file "10-433"    (gets files 10 thru 433)
        gphoto2 --get-all-files        (gets them all)

thats all I really play with on the camera - you can delete images right
from the cmd line - but I just do it in the camera once I see all the
pics are downloaded.

the gthumb app is a quick image editor/viewer, I find it okay, but I
like gqview much better - the zoom and quick speed are nice. If gthumb
had better navigating then I would use it more.

============================
compiling the kernel is pretty easy unless you get into patching
  then its just a little bit trickier :)  converting patches from one
kernel to another without specs kind of sux.. but oh well..

I usually use  /usr/src  for compiling linux kernels. (you can give it
write access to your id or group) mainly because compiling other apps
helps find the kernel include files.

To begin - you can use pgp authentication to verify the file was
compromised. (these keys may be pulled and new ones issued from time to
time)

import the pgp key for kernels 2.6:
  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x517D0F0E

Step 1:

To begin download the kernel and the sign files:
(check out kernel.org to see what the latest is)

cd /usr/src
wget ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.19.2.tar.bz2
wget ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.19.2.tar.bz2.sign

gpg --verify linux-2.6.19.2.tar.bz2.sign linux-2.6.19.2.tar.bz2
gpg: Signature made Wed 10 Jan 2007 06:21:53 PM AST using DSA key ID
517D0F0E
gpg: Good signature from "Linux Kernel Archives Verification Key
<ftpadmin at kernel.org>"

===========================

step 2:

2) tar jxvf linux-2.6.19.2.tar.bz2

   it will decompress into /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.2
   there may be a link for 'linux' there -
	you want to rename the link or dir
   ln -s linux-2.6.19.2 linux

3) setting up the config
	at this point, some like making things clean
	but this is a fresh compile, no need to run  "make mrproper"
	there are two methods I know of (maybe more now)
	I always use:  "make menuconfig"  there is a way to do an X gui
version, but the curses version is fast and easy to navigate.

	When you save your changes it will create .config file.
	this is important, save this sucker in a safe place (saves time in
future compiles)
	a lot of distros will include a Config-* srpm or similar tarball that
contains the .config file used to compile their canned packages.
Slackware stores them in /boot as a file config-2.x.x  - they may be in
header rpms or generic.. where ever they pack them.  I usually just
start from scratch and go through each menu.  There is a built in help
that does explain some stuff. I can send you my latest config to help
out if you want.  From scratch, it takes about 30-45 min depending how
fast you read and want to get it compiled. :)  You usually find things
you forgot to include when you boot and this or that doesn't work. :)
Mostly because the name changed or the function was split in this
kernel, or you just over looked it.
	Usually network cards, and the fun devices are usually whats looked
over.  Sometimes IDE controllers, and SCSI interfaces are chip
dependent.   Just remember the more you compile into the kernel the
larger it gets, its often best to compile options as modules - most
items can be modularized. However, I do not recommend modular IDE
controllers on VIA chipsets, or the older 3COM cards.  In kernel is best
for those.

4) once the config is all done, now comes time to compile:
   (you can update the Makefile to add your name and other stuff if you
want, I dont bother)

   make depends

   make bzImage    (always use this, this makes a compressed kernel,
otherwise it wont boot, due to size)

   if successful, now compile the modules
   make modules

   if successful (look for any errors, this usually means you forgot to
include a dependent module - video 4 linux is great for this)

5) install the kernel

   if all is well.. install the modules as root
	make modules_install

   if looks good continue
	cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.19.2    (or whereever your
system wants kernels)

	cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.19.2
	cd /boot

	I usually rename the system map file
	mv System.map System.map-old
	ln -s System.map-2.6.19.2 System.map

6) update boot mgr

	I use lilo, grub is pretty much the same

	/etc/lilo.conf

	Important: dont remove kernels that are there
		add this to the bottom of your list or order last
		just incase it doesn't boot

	image = /boot/linux-2.6.19.2
	root = /dev/hda1
        label = Linux2.6.19
        read-only

	save and run lilo
	lilo -v

	if all looks good, then reboot
	select the new kernel and away you go.

It may take a few tries to get it, but it becomes pretty easy after a
while.

Regards,
Rich

!DSPAM:45c25644319161133743922!