[nSLUG] Looking For Help: gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Mon Dec 17 12:15:19 AST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 12:03 PM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 11:05 -0400, Jon wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am setting up my system to try out some Ubuntu package maintenance.
> > I am following the directions here
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGui.../PackageUpdate
> >
> > And am running into problems with signing the package which is part of
> > step 6. When I run debuild -S -sa, I get this error (snipped);

> > dpkg-source -b brasero-0.6.1
> > dpkg-source: building brasero using existing brasero_0.6.1.orig.tar.gz
> > dpkg-source: building brasero in brasero_0.6.1-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
> > dpkg-source: building brasero in brasero_0.6.1-0ubuntu1.dsc
> > dpkg-genchanges -S -sa
> > dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
> > dpkg-buildpackage (debuild emulation): source only upload (original
> > source is included)
> > Now signing changes and any dsc files...
> > signfile brasero_0.6.1-0ubuntu1.dsc Jon Watson <me at jonwatson.ca>
> > gpg: skipped "Jon Watson <me at jonwatson.ca>": secret key not available
> > gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available
> > debsign: gpg error occurred! Aborting....
> > debuild: fatal error at line 1174:
> > running debsign failed
> >
> > My key exists:
> >
> > $ gpg --list-secret-keys
> > /home/jdw/.gnupg/secring.gpg
> > ----------------------------
> > sec 1024D/0D3B813E 2006-11-01
> > uid Jon Watson (Valid from 1 Nov 2006) <me at jonwatson.ca>
> > ssb 2048g/E2CAED45 2006-11-01
> >
> > And it is exported into the GPGKEY environment variable
> >
> > $export | grep GPGKEY
> > declare -x GPGKEY="0D3B813E"
> >
> > Does anyone know what I'm missing?
>
> You might want to try some of the suggestions here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2tgzyb

Aahh...thanks. I've cleaned my environment now in anticipation of another
run, but I will double check my name in both the control file and my key.
Like the OP in the thread you supplied, I thought the email address was the
only checkpoint. I wasn't away that:

1. The entire string including name forms that check, and
2. That I could explicity specify a key using -k with debuild.

Thanks for the fodder. Will try it out.

Jon