[nSLUG] Changing Screen Resolution

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 15 16:21:23 AST 2007

Gerard MacNeil wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 20:56 -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Robert Ashley wrote:
>>
>>> PCLinuxOS, however, refused to let me change screen resolution, at least
>>> through the graphical route. It insisted on 800x600 (That Sun monitor
>>> you donated, Dop!), but I know it works just fine at 1024x768.
>>>
>> It might be defaulting to 800x600 because it can't get VESA DDC info off
>> the monitor. I have no idea how you'd ram a config change down PCLinuxOS'
>> throat, though.
>>

> In the "Monitor" Section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, increasing HorizSync
> and/or  VertRefresh  ranges should enable higher resolutions, usually at
> the cost of flicker and ultimately monitor life.

Correct, be careful with the sync heres - you can fry your monitor,
maybe your card too... or at least make it whistle. :) bad sign...

If you don't have the specs of your monitor (back of the monitor
manual), do a search on the web and you should get your Horiz and Vert
specs.
Depending on the type and how old the monitor is,  usually Horiz can be
roughly 30-65, or on 19" models 30-97.
Vert Refresh can be about 50-90 or 50-160 on some 19" screens.

If you want all the possible and largest resolution possible, remove all
the Modes from the Monitor section for your color depth.
Set your color depth, as the default may only be 8 - add a DefaultDepth
24 for more colors, but some old apps may freak out, drop it to 16.
If you want to control what resolutions you have available via the
Ctrl-Alt Keypad Plus/Minus, add then in descending order.
   Modes      "1920x1440" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
To the Depth color settings.

I don't think the Modelines are needed at all in XFree/Xorg 4.x, they
were requirements for 3.x.

Also, make sure your video driver is setup correctly.  If its detected,
and if you want to add GLIB support via kernel modules,
find if your card maker has a kernel module available.  Nvidia and ATI
offer these, this allows for enhanced speed when playing games,
like Doom3, Quake 4, and others.

Hope it helps.
Rich