[nSLUG] Looking For Help: gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Sat Dec 15 11:05:52 AST 2007

Hi All,

I am setting up my system to try out some Ubuntu package maintenance. I am
following the directions here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGui.../PackageUpdate<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Recipes/PackageUpdate>

And am running into problems with signing the package which is part of step
6. When I run debuild -S -sa, I get this error (snipped);

dpkg-source -b brasero-0.6.1
dpkg-source: building brasero using existing brasero_0.6.1.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building brasero in brasero_0.6.1-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: building brasero in brasero_0.6.1-0ubuntu1.dsc
dpkg-genchanges -S -sa
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
dpkg-buildpackage (debuild emulation): source only upload (original source
is included)
Now signing changes and any dsc files...
signfile brasero_0.6.1-0ubuntu1.dsc Jon Watson <me at jonwatson.ca>
gpg: skipped "Jon Watson <me at jonwatson.ca>": secret key not available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available
debsign: gpg error occurred! Aborting....
debuild: fatal error at line 1174:
running debsign failed

My key exists:

$ gpg --list-secret-keys
/home/jdw/.gnupg/secring.gpg
sec 1024D/0D3B813E 2006-11-01
uid Jon Watson (Valid from 1 Nov 2006) <me at jonwatson.ca>
ssb 2048g/E2CAED45 2006-11-01

And it is exported into the GPGKEY environment variable

$export | grep GPGKEY
declare -x GPGKEY="0D3B813E"

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks