[nSLUG] Between rock and hard place with acpi & mondo?

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Tue Dec 11 21:48:04 AST 2007

Hi:

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 21:10 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> Gerald and I put Mandriva 2008 on my box last Friday. (Thanks Gerald!)
> We installed off a live DVD. First, we got no further than the first
> splash screen and it hung there until we added acpi=off to the boot
> script (after hitting F2 options).  Everything is now cool and working
> fine except with shutdown. All files get unmounted, including hda but
> the fan keeps running. So I have to hit the power button to turn it
> off, big deal.
>
> I tried fiddling with the acpi options through the KDE controls, but
> this resulted in a defiantly unbootable box. I re-installed Mandriva a
> few times--a big time sucker!--but got no further with the acpi thing.
>
> So, I reasoned if I had mondo-rescue I could easily keep experimenting
> with acpi, safe in the thought I'd have a complete image of my setup
> to save me from having to re-install.

It's probably a good thing to have a disaster-recovery system like mondo
available, but what you describe here isn't a disaster and doesn't
require quite such a dramatic solution.

Why do you feel you need to re-install your OS?  You used some tools to
make configuration changes, and you want to undo them.  You said you
installed from a live-cd.  So boot with the live-cd, mount your
filesystem (probably does that automatically), change the configuration
items you changed before, and reboot natively.  You probably need to run
lilo with a chroot switch first.  That's a lot faster and easier than
either re-installing or imagng.

As for your real problem vis-a-vis acpi, I'm afraid I'm no help.  Best
of luck, though.