[nSLUG] External temperature sensor

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Mon Dec 10 12:59:23 AST 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:36:03AM -0400, Gerald wrote:
> Short version: I need something to read room temperature for my Linux
> firewall.

I looked into this a little while ago (but I didn't build
anything). I was going to meseaure the temperature with a One-Wire
temperature device and a serial port reader. Linux can access the
temperature using the OWFS module.

http://www.owfs.org/

The One-Wire devices are inexpensive. A DS1920 i-Button temperature sensor can
be ordered online for $8. If you don't mind a little soldering you get
us a DS18S20 for less (or free if you ask for a sample).

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/t/or/qv_pk/2818
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2815

Maxim also have a number of different readers for about $30 and
up. There is also a starter kit with a temperature sensor for $60:

http://para.maxim-ic.com/cache/en/results/4872.html
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2820

I had a link to build a reader but I can't find it now. You should be
able to find lots of info online.

--
sg