[nSLUG] MythTV hardware?

Michael Sutherland hey at checkthisshitout.com
Mon Dec 3 11:39:11 AST 2007

On 3-Dec-07, at 11:14 AM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:

>> I've been running mythtv for the last 5 years or so, and have
>> recently
>> added a second slave backend to my bedroom.
>

> Ever pop into #mythtv-users on irc.freenode.net ? If so we've likely
> spoken :)

I can't say I have ever been, the mailing list alone was enough noise
for me.  Even with the messages sent in bulk it was far too much
traffic.

>> My main mythtv box (master backend+frontend) sits in my living room.
>> Its an old AMD XP 1700+ with 512MB of ram.  Nothing really fancy
>> here,
>> but I did purchase a Enermax PSU with the adjustable fan control to
>> help eliminate noise and a low RPM cpu fan made by themaltake.
>
> Enermax are definitely the way to go when it comes to a PSU.   Makes a
> huge difference soundwise and with all the ones we use at work only 1
> has failed in 7years, though I suppose we could just be lucky :)

I only had 1 fail and it was my own doing, I had the bios set to power
up on power fail, and we had a series of power flickers in close
succession, that seemed to be too much for it.

>> naturally.  About once a year I disassemble and clean out the dust
>> that accumlates.  I check the fans then, and oil anything that needs
>> it.  I find the fans that give me the most trouble tend to be on the
>> video cards, so I avoid them as much as possible.
>
> Yeah video card fans seem to either fail and need to be replaced or
> need oil a lot more often than CPU/PSU fans.

Agreed, whenever possible I chose a card without.

>> OS wise I have always used RH/Fedora for any of my Myth installs, I
>> have tried a number of alternatives, but always come back, as I
>> already know what hoops I have to jump through.  I'd be more than
>> happy to offer any assistance you might need when you embark on your
>> mythtv journey.
>
> Exactly. Everytime someone asks on the channel or mailing lists what
> distro to use the answer is usually "the one you are most familiar
> with" :)

I agree completely but lets not pigeon hole me here.  I do have
diverse experience with a number of distro's and flavors of Unix/
Linux. :)  But when it comes to myth, fedora is the most familiar and
easiest for me.

Mike