[nSLUG] MythTV hardware?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Mon Dec 3 11:14:46 AST 2007

> I've been running mythtv for the last 5 years or so, and have recently
> added a second slave backend to my bedroom.

 Ever pop into #mythtv-users on irc.freenode.net ? If so we've likely
spoken :)

> My main mythtv box (master backend+frontend) sits in my living room.
> Its an old AMD XP 1700+ with 512MB of ram.  Nothing really fancy here,
> but I did purchase a Enermax PSU with the adjustable fan control to
> help eliminate noise and a low RPM cpu fan made by themaltake.

 Enermax are definitely the way to go when it comes to a PSU.   Makes a
huge difference soundwise and with all the ones we use at work only 1
has failed in 7years, though I suppose we could just be lucky :)

>  naturally.  About once a year I disassemble and clean out the dust
> that accumlates.  I check the fans then, and oil anything that needs
> it.  I find the fans that give me the most trouble tend to be on the
> video cards, so I avoid them as much as possible.

 Yeah video card fans seem to either fail and need to be replaced or
need oil a lot more often than CPU/PSU fans.

> OS wise I have always used RH/Fedora for any of my Myth installs, I
> have tried a number of alternatives, but always come back, as I
> already know what hoops I have to jump through.  I'd be more than
> happy to offer any assistance you might need when you embark on your
> mythtv journey.

Exactly. Everytime someone asks on the channel or mailing lists what
distro to use the answer is usually "the one you are most familiar with" :)