[nSLUG] MythTV hardware?

Michael Sutherland hey at checkthisshitout.com
Mon Dec 3 11:03:17 AST 2007

On 1-Dec-07, at 12:33 PM, Scott Syms wrote:

> Hi, folks-
>
> I'm embarking on a MythTV install; Tivo just looks too pricey.  I'll
> prob use Mythubuntu, but I'm wondering what people are using for
> hardware.
>
> I've got an old 1.2 GHz AMD machine and a plextor usb MPEG-2 hardware
> encoder that I know works with MythTV/Linux, but I'd love to use a
> passively cooled system to avoid the "fans die, computer overheats,
> catches fire and takes out my neighbourhood" scenario.  I might be
> paranoid about this, but a family member has just been through a fire
> where the cause was a melted piece of electronics.
>
> What are people using?  Any local suppliers for VIA Epia type
> hardware?
>
> tks mightily

I've been running mythtv for the last 5 years or so, and have recently
added a second slave backend to my bedroom.

My main mythtv box (master backend+frontend) sits in my living room.
Its an old AMD XP 1700+ with 512MB of ram.  Nothing really fancy here,
but I did purchase a Enermax PSU with the adjustable fan control to
help eliminate noise and a low RPM cpu fan made by themaltake.

The bedroom myth box (slave backend+frontend) is a little more speed
wise, but not by much.  Its an AMD XP 2000+ with a gig of ram (not
really necessary I could easily get away with 512MB).  Same enermax
PSU, and just the stock cpu fan.

Both systems have a single hauppauge 250 capture card, and both record
to a remote 1TB file server running raid5.  Movies are my largest
consumer of space naturally.  About once a year I disassemble and
clean out the dust that accumlates.  I check the fans then, and oil
anything that needs it.  I find the fans that give me the most trouble
tend to be on the video cards, so I avoid them as much as possible.

OS wise I have always used RH/Fedora for any of my Myth installs, I
have tried a number of alternatives, but always come back, as I
already know what hoops I have to jump through.  I'd be more than
happy to offer any assistance you might need when you embark on your
mythtv journey.

Mike