[nSLUG] MythTV hardware?

Sat Dec 1 15:48:56 AST 2007

I have a backend set up in my utility room running Ubuntu Feisty. It's
an amd sempron 3000, 1/2 gig ram, and about 200gig hard drive space on
an LVM. I haven't bothered with RAID. It also acts as my file share, web
site and other things. I have a pvr500 which records two channels at a
time, from two satellite receivers. I blast to the receivers using a mce
usb remote. They are about 95% accurate, but I still have to mess with
the aiming of the transmitters to get them perfect.

Under my TV I have a diskless system running Ubuntu Fiesty and just the
frontend. It has a fanless nvidia board, and a massive, large diameter
fan for the CPU. There are still two noisy fans in the power supply, but
when I get some more bucks together I'll spring for an antec case to
make it quieter. The frontend is an amd sempron, 1/2 gig ram, and it pxe
boots from the server downstairs, so I have no swap drive. I am amazed
at what I can run on this system with only 1/2 gig of ram and no swap.
I've been meaning to add more, but it just hasn't been much of an issue,
so I haven't bothered.

If you use Gutsy you should have an easier time that the previous
releases. Most stuff just installs from the repos with little hand
tweaking afterward.

I've checked into EPIA, but I've been scared off by what I've read
regarding hardware problems. To me, if you have just one large heat sink
on the CPU in a case designed to be very quiet, it will be much cheaper
and you can use more conventional boards. It's not worth the extra
expense and heartache to make a totally silent system.

Robin