[nSLUG] Whither to bounce unknown recipient address?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:17:03 ADT 2007

On 8/31/07, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> Can't you twist a few arms to get more hardware to throw at the problem?
> If all mail ends up at just one server (I'm assuming there's just one core
> mail server from your comment) that sounds rather like a single point of
> failure anyway, which could be enough to persuade TPTB that it's time for
> new toys...

No, my stats are partial - just one MX mail server.  We might have
to get another MX sometime soon.

> On a side note, I read a blog by Chris Siebenmann, an admin over at
> UToronto (http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/). He puts up weekly
> stats on mail; it looks like you're getting more mail flowing through than
> he does, which is interesting.

Interesting.  I see utoronto.ca have 6 rotating DNS MX.

If I dig utcc.utoronto.ca, there is an MX for that as well
(with 3 round robin DNS records again).
I suspect this is the subdomain Chris is looking after.
Telnet to any MX IP at utcc.utoronto.ca and port 25 shows
they use greylisting - error code 421.

--Donald