[nSLUG] Whither to bounce unknown recipient address?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Aug 31 14:41:00 ADT 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, D G Teed wrote:

> Here are stats for one day and one
> MX server last week:
>
> Delivered:  187631
> Reject total:    320882
>
> We reject far more that we deliver, but even then, the sheer volume
> we can't reject can weigh down the server.

Can't you twist a few arms to get more hardware to throw at the problem?
If all mail ends up at just one server (I'm assuming there's just one core
mail server from your comment) that sounds rather like a single point of
failure anyway, which could be enough to persuade TPTB that it's time for
new toys...

On a side note, I read a blog by Chris Siebenmann, an admin over at
UToronto (http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/). He puts up weekly
stats on mail; it looks like you're getting more mail flowing through than
he does, which is interesting.

Cheers... Dop.