[nSLUG] Whither to bounce unknown recipient address?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:28:30 ADT 2007

On 8/31/07, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> I think the key to running this is to reject as much mail as possible as
> early as possible with the lowest CPU usage possible. HELO checks for
> validity followed by HELO checks for dynamic addresses (using simple
> regexes) is what really did the trick. All the high CPU usage stuff
> (SpamAssassin being the worst offender) is left till as late in the
> session as possible.

We are following a similar strategy.

Here are stats for one day and one
MX server last week:

Delivered:  187631
Reject total:    320882

We reject far more that we deliver, but even then, the sheer volume
we can't reject can weigh down the server.  Thus firewall block lists
with spamhaus listings and nolisting is becoming interesting.

--Donald