[nSLUG] Problem with XFCE

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 30 23:31:18 ADT 2007

Hi Jack

Going tarball is an option... but be warned on a binary system...
yikes..  you're asking for problems.
Even installing into usr/local and adding the devel pkgs.

I had the exact problem in Slack 11.0 with XFCE 3.8 I think it was, it
would lock and crash.
So I stayed away for a bit, then I heard some news about 4.1, so when I
checked for Slack, someone build the new 4.2.
I tried it and liked it.  It had a few quirks, but it was very solid.
No more silent run aways.
Then came 4.4 and I decided to give it a compile.  I needed to upgrade a
few things like dbus, python libs, and udev.

The total compile time was about 2.5-3 hours for all the tarballs.
There are 14 or so.   After the install, wow what a difference 4.4 is.
It reminds me of the older Gnome, when it was better.
Now a days, Gnome and KDE are trying to be Windows-like clones. yuck!

You can do icons on the desktop now, like you I don't bother.
My wife got used to putting files on the desktop and treating it like
mini photo wall....  :)
anyway..  she hated XFCE for not having the viewable content option on
icons.
Oh well, so I had to install a beta of Dropline Gnome for Slack 12.0 -
shes happy now, its running very solid.

I'm still on 4.4 and loving it.  I found only a few issues, but mostly
cosmetic.
Firefox 2.0.0.4 and 2.0.0.6 seem to have issues ( hmm.. I wonder now if
its because Slack 12.0 is on a new gcc )
I find the latest Opera handles flash 9 much better than Firefox (no
skips or freezing!)
The newer Acrobat seems to work better, not so resource hungry.
Amarok and postgres work nice together.

Is there a pkg addon site available?

Regards
Rich

Jack Warkentin wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> This version fixed quite a few issues.  I had 4.2, and tried using
>>>
> it,
>
>>> but found some short comings for what I do.
>>> However, I've been using 4.4 for a few months now, and it is very
>>> solid.  There was a problem with cairo libs,
>>> but that was more Slackware 12.0 related.
>>>
>>> I hit my system pretty hard, and I noticed Gnome w/Dropline 2.16
>>>
> wasn't
>
>>> helping, it was getting slower and slower.
>>> So I decided to try XFCE 4.4.  I originally compiled it by hand,
>>>
> and had
>
>>> it working, except overlooked an important python lib.
>>> This caused me some headaches once I traced it down (not well
>>> documented).   However, around that time, Slackware 12.0 had  it
>>>
> compiled,
>
>>> and working.  So I tried the Slack 12.0 packages and it worked
>>>
> fine,
>
>>> except Amarok was not configured for postgres - so I had to
>>>
> recompile.
>
>>> Other than that, its been very solid and fast.  I was running a
>>>
> resource
>
>>> hungry java client, which ran better under XFCE.
>>>
>>> I also gave Kde 3.5 a whirl to see how much has changed over the
>>>
> years.
>
>>> I normally don't bother swapping desktops on the fly.
>>> I tried it, and turned off all the fancy animations to gain the
>>>
> speed it
>
>>> was sucking up.   I feel Kde and Gnome are trying to be Win XXX
>>>
> look
>
>>> alikes..  which in my mind is the wrong direction to take.  Make
>>>
> it
>
>>> easy, but don't stop or rollback innovation just because Microslop
>>>
> says
>
>>> so.
>>>
>>> I'm now back on XFCE.
>>>
>>> I found a PC for sale, 64-bit 500MB Ram, 60GB hdd w/WinXP, and DVD
>>> burner + monitor for $200. :)
>>> I yanked the drive and stuck it in my son's pc, because he won't
>>>
> migrate
>
>>> to Linux.. I tried and pat him on the head when he whines about
>>>
> spyware
>
>>> and adware flooding his system. I tell him here is the install
>>>
> disk -
>
>>> have fun.   :)    I later installed a 75GB drive with Slack 12.0
>>>
> for my
>
>>> wife.
>>> She's one happy camper now.  She was running a K6-III 450 w/320MB
>>>
> RAM.
>
>>> The machine was almost 10 years old. :)
>>> She tried XFCE, but got used to Nautilus... ugh.. I do not like
>>>
> Nautilus
>
>>> either.  So I installed Dropline 2.18 beta now, she is running
>>>
> fine now.
>
>>> So I found, XFCE is not for everyone.  My wife uses her desktop
>>>
> folders
>
>>> in ways I've never bothered to.
>>> I just use a file manager or cmd line for that.. call me
>>>
> lazy... :)
>
>>> See if you get a more recent version of XFCE. Its worth it.

>>> Rich