[nSLUG] Problem with XFCE (was: re: Gnome to KDE--> Stymied?at?kdm Login Screen)

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Thu Aug 30 21:48:03 ADT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 09:26:28PM -0300, Jack Warkentin wrote:
> Hi Everybody
>
> I'm not really sure how to respond to this, except to re-iterate what
> I said in my original posting. I don't expect everybody to agree with
> me and Jeff certainly doesn't, but that's ok.
>
> I will say that if I were a sysadmin I would be very wary of a
> password changing program that had all of the capabilities that Jeff
> mentions. I would want a command-line tool that was applicable to
> exactly, and *only*, my system's configuration. I *like* GUI's. But I
> believe that there are still places for the command line, and
> changing passwords is one of them. It is no harder than typing in the
> text of an email.
>
> I *never* have any icons on my desktop, but that again is just
> personal preference.

Same here.

> I strongly object to notifications of hotplugging of hardware. If I
> have plugged something in, I know I have done so, and know what I
> want to do with it, and how to do it, which I then proceed to do.
> Notifications just get in the way.

Same here.  They are really annoying.  Infact, I would much
rather have to type mount when I put something into the cd
drive or connect a usb drive that have another annoying
popup.

> The underlying operating system is the right place to provide
> mechanisms for programs to communicate, not something that sits on
> top of the operating system such as X or a desktop environment. There
> must be a clear differentiation between operating system and other
> programs and system services must be performed using very clear,
> well-defined, and strictly enforced system calls. The fact that
> Microsoft Windows has allowed this strict differentiation to become
> blurred has been one of the main reasons that Windows has so many
> security holes. If desktop applications need to communicate they
> should do so using the IPC capabilities of the underlying operating
> system. If these don't provide the desired capabilities then the
> correct response is to create additional OS capabilities, not put
> non-OS layers on top of the OS to provide the desired capabilities.

Makes sense.

> Just my opinions and am happy to have others disagree.

Disagree?  You make a lot of sense.

> Regards
>
> Jack

I am not anti GUI or anything.  I couldn't really imagine
doing some things without a GUI, or at least a window
manager.  But if you are willing to put up with something
that doesn't look as good some things are great for a
terminal emulator.

Some things that is great for a terminal is email using
mutt, downloading torrents using rtorrent, and using IRC
with irssi.  What makes it even better is you can run all
this in screen.  When I move around I just ssh to my home
computer, launch screen and there everything is.

Another biggie is file management.  I hate nothing more than
looking at a large list of files trying to figure out where
the file is that I need.  Sure you can start typing the name
of the file but if I were to do that why not just do it at
the shell?  That's exactly what I do.  Once you know what
you are doing one can be very fast getting simple file
management done at the command prompt.

I am someone who like a functional DE but not something that
gets in the way.  I also like it easy to set up.  That's one
of the biggest reasons I use Xfce.  The default set up (at
least on Arch Linux) is very minimal yet it does everything
I need.

Just my $0.02.  I hope I was not OT from the thread.  I
don't think I read the whole thing.

David