[nSLUG] Problem with XFCE

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 30 20:08:35 ADT 2007

Hi Everybody

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Among several other major
projects I was trying to try out XFCE 4.4 as suggested by Rich.

I had a quick look at Project Looking Glass but I can't say as the
idea of 3D graphics in a window manager turns me on. I guess I am
just an old fogey.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jack

On Monday 30 July 2007 21:27, Bigadmin wrote:
> try "Project Looking Glass" by sun and let us know your opinion:
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/
> https://lg3d-core.dev.java.net/
>

> Jack Warkentin wrote:
> > Hi Everybody
> >
> > I like neither KDE nor Gnome - to me they both ignore the basic
UNIX
> > design philosophy of one program does one small thing well and to
do
> > something more complex you combine programs to achieve your
desired
> > result. I didn't give Gnome much of a chance after I discovered
that
> > just about *everything* in Gnome required nautilus to be active,
and
> > I didn't like nautilus. And KDE is just too monolithic and
determined
> > to add its own layer to those already adequately provided for by
the
> > operating system. Why, for example, is there a need for something
> > like kdepasswd when passwd works very well from the command line?
> >
> > What I would like is a system whereby the window manager (selected
> > from among several/many available) can be combined with a taskbar
> > (selected from among several/many available), a start menu applet
> > (selected from among several/many available) and an Xresources
> > settings manager, etc. For me the Xresources settings manager is
the
> > deal-maker/breaker in a desktop system. It is too much of a pain
in
> > the you-know-where to have to manually edit the .Xresources file
and
> > set resources for applications either individually or
collectively.