[nSLUG] Municiple WiFi: Wi-Fire USB Antenna

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Thu Aug 30 00:03:31 ADT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:10:34PM -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:22:52PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
> >
> > Drifting a bit off the topic here, I find it a little distressing that
> > there are coming to be useful apps that depend on using a particular
> > desktop environment.
>
> These apps are written specifically for KDE or Gnome because it is
> easier. The desktop environments provide higher level libraries so
> that the authors don't have to mess around with low-level Xlibs just
> to paint a few pixels on the screen.

Chiming in:

Especially in this case, the concern is a little silly. NetworkManager
itself isn't tied to any particular desktop environment. The backend
is just C, and it just does its thing. There's a GTK frontend
(nm-applet) that comes with it. Thanks to... someone, not sure who,
there's also a QT-based frontend for the KDE users, although some
features seem to require the GTK version (for example, using vpnc
with it on Ubuntu required network-manager-gnome. Go figure.)

You could even write a console frontend for it, if you were so
inclined, it's all DBUS.

For this core sort of functionality, both Gnome and KDE (and other
DEs, I would hope...) are trying to hash out standards:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/

Baby steps, but still important.

That said, wake me when they have a common VFS...