[nSLUG] Municiple WiFi: Wi-Fire USB Antenna

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Aug 29 18:10:34 ADT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:22:52PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Drifting a bit off the topic here, I find it a little distressing that
> there are coming to be useful apps that depend on using a particular
> desktop environment.

These apps are written specifically for KDE or Gnome because it is
easier. The desktop environments provide higher level libraries so
that the authors don't have to mess around with low-level Xlibs just
to paint a few pixels on the screen.

This is really no different then applications which require perl to
function.

>  I don't have a systray.  I
> thought that was a Windoes thing.

Gnome calls it a "notification area." It is a standard set out by
freedesktop.org. A number of window managers support it. There are
also some stand alone applications like "trayer" that suppor the
systray spec for window managers that don't.

--
sg