[nSLUG] Municiple WiFi: Wi-Fire USB Antenna

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Aug 29 15:20:23 ADT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 02:54:22PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> So... How do you "see" them?  Do you have some sort of software that
> monitors wireless signals and provides a graphic display updated in
> (more or less) real time?

Kismet does this, but is proably not exactly what you are looking
for. It is a usefull tool for finding access points in a hackerish
sort of way. It is an excellent tool for the tech-savy.

Network manager and the NM helper applets are probably what you are
looking for. The applets are bundled with Gnome, KDE, and probably
others. On Debian the package is "network-manager-gnome" or
"network-manager-kde". The applet provides a systray icon that you can
click on to see available wired and wireless networks. There is also a
commandline tool named nm-tool. I have never used the command line version.

--
sg