[nSLUG] Municiple WiFi: Wi-Fire USB Antenna

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:11:23 ADT 2007

On 8/29/07, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Geroge wrote:
>
> > At home there are 4 other wireless routers visible to my upstairs
> > office....
>
> So... How do you "see" them?  Do you have some sort of software that
> monitors wireless signals and provides a graphic display updated in
> (more or less) real time?
>
> What is it?

NetworkManger has a gui display of signal quality, for frequencies use:

   # iwlist wlan0 scan

There have been a couple other tools that give GUI displays, but these two seem
to be well supported on Fedora 7.

> My distro has a bunch of command line utilities for wireless and all
> is cool at home in the woods.  But if I go into town, I'd like to have
> real time graphic updates on access point availability, signal
> strength etc.  I'd want to choose which net to join if Bad Mojo Cafe,
> Pogo Memorial Freenet, Default and KewlDoodNet all have open access
> and usable signals.  I have the feeling I'm missing some software that
> other people -- other Linux wireless users -- take for granted.

This is the goal of NetworkManager.  It shows the signal quality and encryption
status of the access points that are found by 'iwlist wlan0 scan'.
It has improved
a lot in the past 6 months (or, more likely, the stuff it wants to use
works better now).
I used to get a lot of "buy a better wireless card" messages, but I
have not seen those recently.   I'm using a $25 USB dongle with
ndiswrapper on the PC, a decent SMC
router on the other end that has 2 antennae.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia