[nSLUG] Sun R.I.P.

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 11:00:12 ADT 2007

"Sun Microsystems, which has built most of its company around the Java
programming language brand since it was introduced in April 1995,
announced Aug. 23 that it will change its NASDAQ stock symbol to
"JAVA" from "SUNW" beginning Monday, Aug. 27."
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2174851,00.asp>.

SUNW="Stanford University Network Workstation."

>From a business perspective, I suspect investors see software as more
profitable than
general purpose computing hardware.  Certainly commodity hardware has
been encroaching on high-end territory.

How many linux users have "mission critical" Java applications?  I use
a nice bibliographic database called jabref, and the European Space
Agency provides
a package called BEAM for users work with data from their MERIS sensor.   BEAM
does run on Windows and linux, but it needs high-end hardware that I don't have.

Of course there is Eclipse.  Other interesting Java apps are ImageJ and AOI
(Art of Illusion).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia