[nSLUG] Re: Plems with Linux etch

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Aug 25 02:49:30 ADT 2007

me> I do the majority of interactive tcsh command line stuff from
me> within an Emacs shell buffer in order to have (effectively)
me> infinite scrollback...

Aaron> Have you considered screen?  It supports many vi- and
Aaron> emacs-like commands, provides configuration out the ying-yang,
Aaron> and has an astoundingly small memory footprint...

Looked at it long ago, when I was logging into a Unix box from MS-DOS
and CP/M.  I think I tried it once but didn't fall in love with it.
But since I do nearly everything possible in Emacs and have several
instances running all the time, an Emacs shell buffer is easy.

Aaron> I totally believe that configure scripts are a joke someone
Aaron> came up with many years ago that got way way way out of hand.
Aaron> ....
Aaron> And I've been using bash almost as long as you've been using
Aaron> CSH and I still don't grok most of the advanced redirection
Aaron> examples...

Ah, well, then I feel a little less stupid.

Aaron> I especially like being able to cut/copy/paste arbitrary
Aaron> rectangles.

Can do that in Emacs, which also has a "picture mode" so you can do
ASCII art without a lot of superfluous keystrokes.

Aaron> The only thing I haven't figured out how to do yet...is copy
Aaron> things to the X clipboard so that I can ctrl-V paste them in
Aaron> true GUI applications.  I hate, hate seeeeeething hate using my
Aaron> mouse when engaged in otherwise keyboard-centric activities.

Oh, I'm with you there!  But under X, text that you "kill" in an Emacs
buffer (i.e., cut or copy to emacs' internal clipboard-like space,
using keystrokes) can be pasted into a non-Emacs xterm or app from the
X clipboard.  (Er....only, that is, if you run X-enabled Emacs in its
own window.  If you run emacs -nw in an xterm -- -nw for "no window"
-- emacs itself behaves as if in a console and ignores the X clipboard.)
Actually, I use GNU Emacs 20 because v. 21 has gotten too menu- and
mouse-centric, among other reasons that I now forget.

Aaron> You'll not mind if I steal the term "cognitive bricklaying" I
Aaron> hope, because I'm going to anyway ;)

Not at all.  Remember to distinguish that from "cognitive cement
pour".  At least with bricks, you can, if unequivocally compelled to
do so, chisel out a faulty brick and replace it.  In the cement pour,
one's ignorance is monolithic and isotropic. :-)

- Mike

                                                           /V\