[nSLUG] Plems with Linux etch

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:13:07 ADT 2007

On 24/08/07, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/07, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
>
> > Bash is one them tools I have to read the instructions each time I
> > take it out of the box.  That happens when I have to fix some script
> > or when I'm root.  Othrwise, I use tcsh.
>
> Please read:
>
> Subject: Csh Programming Considered Harmful

A URL might be useful: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

But with all due respect, Mike stated that he used bash when root, or when
scripting (or at least, script hacking).  People can use tcsh for their
shell if they want... me, I like to write scripts on the command line (I
only put them in a actual script file if they get too big to handle on the
cmd line).

My biggest pet peeve about tcsh: there is no difference between Ctrl-W and
Ctrl-U.  In Bash, Ctrl-W kills ONE word behind the cursor, while Ctrl-U
kills the whole line behind the cursor.  Ctrl-Y yanks back what was
killed. In tcsh, both Ctrl-W and Ctrl-U kill the whole line.

-D.