[nSLUG] Plems with Linux etch

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 23 02:41:33 ADT 2007

> Subject:
> Problems with 'deselect' & screen resolution
> From:
> David Buck <davebuck at eastlink.ca>
> Date:
> Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:33:18 -0300
> To:
> bug.debian.org at eastlink.ca
>
> To:
> bug.debian.org at eastlink.ca
>

> I have successfully installed the etch 'Base System' and installed the
> x-window-system & twm files.
>
> My system is: IBM 300pl - CPU
>                       LG 17" - L1718S LCD Monitor
>                       Linux Kernal - 2.6.18-4-686
>                       O/S 'etch'

Hi,

First off, you need to find the specs of your monitor and know what your
video card can do.

I did a quick search on your model number to pull in the specs:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/computer%20products_lcd%20monitors_17%20inch_L1718S.jhtml

Your max res is 1280x1024
Update the xorg.conf file under  /etc/X11/

Add or update these settings under the Monitor section

    HorizSync     30-83
    VertRefresh  50-75

You can add Gamma 1.3 if your display is a little dark, there are sites
you can calibrate your color you want it around 2.2 or so. 1.2 or 1.3
will make it close to 2.2.

Often times the configure tool cannot determine your sync frequencies,
this is what allows you to get the higher resolutions.
The reason why you are only seeing 640x480, the two values need to be
setup for your monitor, the defaults are standard VGA monitors.

The next section, set the default color depth - the monitor states your
max is 16 million colors (24-bit)
(Use 24 if your video card can handle 24-bit, most can these days)

Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth    24

    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

If you decide to use a depth of 16, just duplicate the section under the
Screen section with a depth of 16 and same mode values.

This will allow you to use the Ctrl Alt (keypad plus) or (keypad minus)
to changes resolutions on the fly.

Hope this helps
Rich