[nSLUG] Plems with Linux etch

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:58:30 ADT 2007

Hi David,

Depending on what sort of system you are wanting to set up, there
are several options for package management which are better
than dselect.

If you prefer to set up a server with not much
of a desktop, then you might want to work with aptitude solely.
It has a standalone curses screen, or also works alot
like apt-get.

If you prefer a rich desktop environment, then
I suggest you pick up a better window manager than twm.
Many new Linux users prefer gnome or kde.  If you install one
of them, it will grab a bunch of required packages.
When you have a nice desktop, you might like using
synaptic for the package manager.  It is the GUI way
to do things, but it works fairly intuitively in contrast to
dselect or stand alone aptitude curses interface.
I personally prefer aptitude run in apt-get shell command
style, and dpkg for viewing what I've got.  Try aptitude --help
for command line options (mainly need install, remove and search,
update, and upgrade or dist-upgrade).

Most etch systems have an xorg.conf created by:

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

This will aid in selecting resolutions and configuring your xorg.conf
file with good values.

If in doubt of what is wrong, run less on your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and pay attention to lines starting with (EE) and maybe (WW) if there
are no significant errors.

--Donald