[nSLUG] Plems with Linux etch

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Aug 22 14:54:34 ADT 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:21:35 -0300
David Buck <davebuck at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I'm a newbie to nslug and would ask your help with a couple of problems. Please see the attachment.
> Could anyone working with etch help.

Do you really want x-window-system and twm?  Seems like a rough way to start out.  Most people go with the default 'desktop' task.  (Not that this would solve the particular problems you're having with your X configuration.  That's probably something else.)

Also I wholeheartedly agree with Daniel that you don't want to be using dselect.  Use apt-get or aptitude from the command-line, or synaptic in X.

As for debugging your X configuration, if you do a normal desktop install, that stuff is autoconfigured for you, so you shouldn't have to do it by hand (most of the time).

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org