[nSLUG] MythTV Listings Data

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Aug 21 10:07:34 ADT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:14:49 -0300
Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

> >  once in a while I'll record something else, but increasingly I'm turning to other sources (library loans of DVD TV seasons, for example)
>

>  I had no idea you could get those from Libraries... Cool :)

Just a couple of caveats:

1. for popular titles for which they don't have enough copies to keep up with demand, be prepared to wait a long time for your hold to come in

2. what is it with borrowers and handling of CDs/DVDs?  some of them look like they've been dropped on a gritty floor and then stepped on ... repeatedly.  i can *sometimes* read these (with some minimal loss of frames) successfully by ripping them.  but occasionally you get one that's a total loss.  i try to report the damage when i think of it, but often just getting them to the drop slot in time before i start paying fines is my overriding concern, so i'm sad to say even the careful borrowers like me who don't feed their discs to their dog probably aren't helping make the situation any better.

That being said, they have a *huge* selection of DVD TV series.  Just browse the catalog:

http://catalogue.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca

click "Advanced"

select format "DVDs"

enter some keywords and press "Find It"

Using their hold system online is great!  And if they don't have what you want, look it up on Amazon, then fill out a request form.  In several weeks when they get it in, you'll be at the top of the hold list for it.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org