[nSLUG] MythTV Listings Data

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:25:07 ADT 2007

On 8/16/07, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

>  Since I haven't seen it mentioned here I thought I'd post this for any
> of you using MythTV.
>
>  As you may or may not know Zap2it which has been providing free
> listings data here in NA will
> be shutting down their feed on Sept 1st.   So our options are basically
> to go back to screen scraping (uck)
> or pay for listings :)
>
>  So if you are a myth user and don't want to deal with screen scraping
> you might wanna check out
> http://www.schedulesdirect.org before Sept 1st :)

On reason for using online schedules is to find out about special events and
schedule changes made shortly before a program goes to air.  Zap2it has a
poor record for the quality of the information (some suggest it was done
deliberately to trap  publishers who were stealing the "personal use" data
for publication).  Cable providers should be required to provide timely and
accurate listings in a machine-readable form.

I wonder if any consumer groups have raised this with CRTC.   The
Writer's Guild of Canada is concerned about how people find out about
Canadian programming:
http://www.wgc.ca/files/TV%20policy%20advertising.pdf

Over the years, there have been some excellent Canadian documentaries that
are hard to find and tend to air as fillers when some US show is cancelled.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia