[nSLUG] Fast scroll wheel action in X triggers paste or browser history navigation

Aaron Spanik aaronspanik at eastlink.ca
Wed Aug 15 18:30:30 ADT 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:33:42 -0300
D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/15/07, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gmail thinks this is spam -- I guess "fast" "action" and "X" are
> > enough to trigger the filter.
>
> Funny, as it is sent from gmail, but then of course it is recreated
> as a new email from mailman.
>
> > I've learned to be a bit deliberate with my scroll wheel, and use
> > <Pg-Up> <Pg-Dn> in browsers.   I suspect it is all to easy to enter
> > "clicks" when scrolling fast.  It does seem like I've had more glitches
> > while scrolling recently (older ATI and Nvidia graphics hardware,
> > KVM on a debian machine, USB mouse on Fedora 7).
>
> I can reproduce my problem at will.  I just don't like doing it in an aterm
> because I don't know what will happen.  One time I entered
> a game of larn! (or whatever the name of the modern variant is now)
> I hope I didn't delete anything as well.  Certainly would be
> dangerous to run a term as root with a wild scroll wheel!
>
> Scroll wheel is one of those things that once you start using it, it
> becomes a habit for navigating, and so I have to choose between
> not using X or fixing the problem on that system.
>
> There is a program which will capture Xevents.  Forget the name
> right now, but I think I'll run that and possibly submit a bug report.

As others have mentioned, that program is xev and will tell you what
events X itself is seeing.

That said, I once had some problems with scrolling that nearly drove me
insane.  I can't remember all of the various elements to it (might have
been an older config file with a newer X server or something) but the
crux of the matter was something like setting "SendCoreEvents" and
"AlwaysCore" in the InputDevice section corresponding to the Mouse.
Those two options are equivalent and caused duplication.  This was
exacerbated in my case because it wasn't just a standard 3-button mouse
with wheel, so there was some xmodmap magic going on.  As I recall, the
first "clicks" would be the proper scroll and the others wouldn't be
remapped, so they'd do undefined things.

Although it certainly sounds almost like what you're going through I'm
not sure how relevant that is, considering that AlwaysCore and
SendCoreEvents have disappeared from "man Xorg" at least since the
version I'm running (7.1.99) and seem to have been replaced with the
"CoreKeyboard" and "CorePointer" modifiers in the InputDevice section.

Work a check, anyway, I guess.

/a

aaronspanik at eastlink.ca