[nSLUG] Fast scroll wheel action in X triggers paste or browser history navigation

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:58:54 ADT 2007

Gmail thinks this is spam -- I guess "fast" "action" and "X" are
enough to trigger the filter.

On 8/15/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I''ve found a few googled references to others experiencing this
> problem, but none of the people discussing it
> really understand it nor provide a real solution.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone in our region has seen this before.
>
> On Xorg 7.1.1 with a Matrox driver from Matrox, I see odd
> behaviour from rapid movement of my scrollwheel.  This wasn't
> present a few months ago, but I use X so seldom on this particular
> box I can't be certain when it crept in.  Others seeing the problem
> have been using ATI cards, so it doesn't seem to be driver specific.
> Others have seen the problem in KDE, while I use fluxbox, so
> it doesn't seem to be window manager specific.

I've learned to be a bit deliberate with my scroll wheel, and use
<Pg-Up> <Pg-Dn> in browsers.   I suspect it is all to easy to enter
"clicks" when scrolling fast.  It does seem like I've had more glitches
while scrolling recently (older ATI and Nvidia graphics hardware,
KVM on a debian machine, USB mouse on Fedora 7).

> When I scroll the mouse wheel slowly, the browser window will move
> as usual as if using its scrollbar.  If I move rapidly, the browser
> moves through the foreward and backward history.  If I use the scroll
> wheel rapidly in an aterm window without highlighting any text, it seems to
> randomly capture text from parts of the aterm's screen or scroll buffer
> and paste it as commands.
>
> The same mouse is on a KVM which I use for a Windows box, and there
> are no problems with the scroll wheel there, so I believe the mouse hardware
> is not at fault.
>
> There are no mouse errors in my Xorg log.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?

Probably, but not reproducibly.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia