[nSLUG] Nova Scotia internet services

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Wed Aug 15 14:40:15 ADT 2007

> I remember getting the faster up speeds with the old Teryon (sp?)
> modems. The Motorola Surfboard ones I see now seem to have coincided

 Yeah the only Proprietary terayon stuff had a much large upstream
channel and could do much faster up
But the DOCSIS, stuff couldn't.
> with one of the significant service changes I've noticed over the
> years. I do not know what DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 means. Maybe it was only

 It's the standards/specifications on how the modems communicate with
the CMTS (terminating unit
at the cable company). Kinda like the ethernet standard.   Any DOCSIS
1.0 modem will work with
any DOCSIS 1.0 CMTS and so on.

 Pretty much all cable companies use it unless they are running really
old gear.

> changed. I use a dynamic DNS service, if it logged my IP change
> history I could tell you exactly when and how often it changed, but
> alas, I suspect it does not.

 I run a cron on my machine that auto pulls a URL from a box I have at
work. Anytime my home IP changes
I can just check the logs. I do the same with my laptops so if one is
ever stolen and gets put online before being
wiped I can find out where it is.

> 15 minutes, sometimes an hour or two. That was one of the times when I
> found tech support to be less than helpful. :) If I remember right

 Ouch. Glad it wasn't me :)