[nSLUG] Nova Scotia internet services

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:06:50 ADT 2007

I remember getting the faster up speeds with the old Teryon (sp?)
modems. The Motorola Surfboard ones I see now seem to have coincided
with one of the significant service changes I've noticed over the
years. I do not know what DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 means. Maybe it was only
2mbit before, I can't recall, I just remember it being much faster
then. Maybe I was only sending smaller things as well, and didn't
notice the wait as much too...

Lately I only notice interruptions which seems to basically cause the
modem to reset, with a small delay before it can successfully
associates/finds a frequency/whatever it does on boot. I get quite a
lot of power issues at my house which cause my alarm clocks to reset,
even if I don't notice the power outage myself, and those along with
modem resets usually correlate very well with IP changes. The only
reason I even notice ip changes is when accessing from outside, so
sometimes it will be a couple days before I am aware at some point it
changed. I use a dynamic DNS service, if it logged my IP change
history I could tell you exactly when and how often it changed, but
alas, I suspect it does not.

In the past I've had approximately two week long periods where I would
have sometimes multiple outages a day, of varying lengths, sometimes
15 minutes, sometimes an hour or two. That was one of the times when I
found tech support to be less than helpful. :) If I remember right
this was mostly in the two years following the hurricane, so 2004/2005
I guess? My parents in Cole Harbour also experienced similar problems,
also with non-responsive tech support, during different times, and
their issues lasted much longer, several months I believe. It seems to
have gone away for them now though.

But if the power company cannot provide power reliably to my house, I
am not sure I am expecting much more of the cable company
piggy-backing on their lines!

Jason