[nSLUG] Fast scroll wheel action in X triggers paste or browser history navigation

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:48:58 ADT 2007

I''ve found a few googled references to others experiencing this
problem, but none of the people discussing it
really understand it nor provide a real solution.

I'm wondering if anyone in our region has seen this before.

On Xorg 7.1.1 with a Matrox driver from Matrox, I see odd
behaviour from rapid movement of my scrollwheel.  This wasn't
present a few months ago, but I use X so seldom on this particular
box I can't be certain when it crept in.  Others seeing the problem
have been using ATI cards, so it doesn't seem to be driver specific.
Others have seen the problem in KDE, while I use fluxbox, so
it doesn't seem to be window manager specific.

When I scroll the mouse wheel slowly, the browser window will move
as usual as if using its scrollbar.  If I move rapidly, the browser
moves through the foreward and backward history.  If I use the scroll
wheel rapidly in an aterm window without highlighting any text, it seems to
randomly capture text from parts of the aterm's screen or scroll buffer
and paste it as commands.

The same mouse is on a KVM which I use for a Windows box, and there
are no problems with the scroll wheel there, so I believe the mouse hardware
is not at fault.

There are no mouse errors in my Xorg log.

Has anyone seen this before?

--Donald