[nSLUG] Nova Scotia internet services

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Aug 14 16:50:08 ADT 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 03:50:16PM -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:

> Indeed, I keep my Aliant IP for very long periods of time. And with
> dynamic DNS and 5 minute TTLs, it is really a non-issue, from my
> personal/residential - if geeky - perspective.
>
> On Aliant, 25 is blocked, in and out, but I have never had an issue
> with their mail server moving outgoing mail. One of my mail accounts
> is brought down with Fetchmail, the other being relayed through a
> no-ip relay to a high port.. Which may actually be better, with them
> having backup MXs and me not.

Vaguely off-topic:

If you run mail service elsewhere, port 465 (SMTP over SSL) and 587
(/etc/services calls it submission, I've usually seen it used for
SMTP+TLS) are good and relatively common alternatives. If you provide
mail services, you should probably have these open.

I've never been a fan of running any type of service on dsl/cable
service. The burstable bandwidth (even if you DO get 1Mbit/s upstream)
sucks, connections are frequently unstable, IP changes cause outages
etc. I'll host things that don't matter, like my MRTG graphs, make
VNC/SSH available... but I wouldn't host anything I count on, like
email.

Re: fetchmail, you may want to give getmail a look.
http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why