[nSLUG] Nova Scotia internet services

John Leidel john.leidel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:36:06 ADT 2007

I'm running PPoE over aDSL right now.  AT&T has been forcing a reconnect
every night now since they merged with Southwestern Bell a few months
ago.

The residential fibre connections in the DFW area are an interesting
bit.  They block you from serving out ports 20,22,80,8080 and a few
others.  People running *NIX get smart, of course, and push their
services over to a different portmap... still annoying though.  This is
why I asked :-)

Residential broadband wireless has become a huge deal in the rural areas
around DFW.  My in-laws had the chance to get it recently.  The latency
wasn't too bad, but still no where near 'gaming' speed.  The bandwidth
was on par with rural aDSL services.

So... it sounds like Eastlink is going to be the way to go :-)