[nSLUG] Nova Scotia internet services

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Aug 14 10:23:20 ADT 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 10:02:09AM -0300, Paul wrote:
>  Eastlink has connection limitations, traffic shaping, and they also
> preform filtering on select ports. Besides that, It's the best service
> for the price at the moment. My IP changed about 3 weeks ago, the
> first time in over a year but on Aliant's residential service its
> dynamic mapping.

I'm not sure how much of that is true anymore, unless it has changed
again in the last three or four months. Eastlink used to have some
sort of concurrent connection cap (I think it was 100 concurrent TCP
connections, or something like that) but I see no evidence of that
anymore on my home setup. I can also hit 1MB/s with various traffic
types (HTTP, FTP, SSH, BT, etc.), so if they're shaping anything, I'm
not sure what it is.

Aliant is dynamic mapping, but as long as you can keep the PPPoE
session established, you can keep the IP. Before the troubles, I had
no problem keeping an IP for months at a time.

Port blocking on either wouldn't surprise me in the least, though.