[nSLUG] Nova Scotia internet services

John Leidel john.leidel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:36:55 ADT 2007

All, I'm in the process of relocating to the greater HRM area [keep your
fingers crossed that the current offer on my house goes through].  I
have question for the group regarding internet service in HRM.  This may
be more of a philosophical question than practical, but I'll ask
anyway...

What is the best internet service provider in the HRM area in respect to
the following ::
  - performance/$$
  - reliability
  - general service
  - connectivity [ie, do they block specific ports deliberately]

Just as a comparison.. in Dallas, we have AT&T/SouthwesternBell aDSL
running at 3.0Mbps up/512kbps down for ~$32.00 US a month.

Now, in some areas, we have fibre to the premises running at ~15Mbps for
$40 US a month [residential service]...  Just depends on whether they've
already removed the `last copper mile` in your neighborhood.

I assume you'll get better deals if you go with a television/phone/etc
package.  I plan on getting at least cable/or satellite equivalent.

I've seen providers like Eastlink and Aliant...but I'm not sure of the
pros/cons...

Any thoughts from the group ??

cheers
john