[nSLUG] USB drive fails e2fsck on startup

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Sun Aug 5 19:43:45 ADT 2007

Hi,

I recently installed Arch Linux but I ran into a problem. I
have an external USB hard drive /dev/sdb with thiree ext3
partitions /dev/sdb1-3.  If I add it to /etc/fstab with
default options on boot it complains that e2fsck fails and I
have to type my root password to "fix" it.  I comment it out
of /etc/fstab and boot as normal.  After I boot I run e2fsck
on the partitions it comes up clean.  A also mount them
using the mount command and it has no problems with that
either.  I can read/write to all my files.  I don't think it
can see the drive at the point in time where it trys to
check the disks on startup.  What can I do to get it to
mount on startup?

Thanks,

David Payne