[nSLUG] Thanks for coming out!

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Aug 1 14:22:41 ADT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 02:03:48PM -0300, William Lachance wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who came out to the informal meeting we had yesterday
> at Coburg coffee. We should definitely do this again soon... perhaps
> with the addition of a few presentations on Linux-related topics? One of
> the attendees (Devon) suggested he could get us some space at Dal to do
> so, in which case I wonder if we shouldn't schedule the meeting to
> coincide with the beginning of the academic year in early September, to
> generate interest in Linux among new/returning students.
>
> Thoughts?

The Dal ACM chapter runs InstallFests (usually) three times a year.
Generally it's been once near the start of the fall term, once near
the start of the winter term, and once in the summer.

InstallFest is almost a misnomer now since generally not a lot of
installing gets done, generally people prefer to hang out, discuss
things, demonstrate things, ask and answer questions... which may or
may not be too far off what you expect from the meetings.

Last time we had a semi-organized keysigning as well, which is
something I'd like to continue. Well, the keysigning, at least.

It happens in the atrium of the Dal CS building and runs (very
loosely) for a couple of hours.

If there's any interest, we could absolutely combine the two.