[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Aug 1 09:18:42 ADT 2007

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Robert Ashley wrote:

> Thanks Dave. I'm right now trying to find a good web site that
> illustrates and explains the different types and functions of various
> cabling in the computer box.

http://www.hardwarebook.info/ - all the connectors you'll ever need, plus
all the ones you won't.

> On 8/1/07, David Payne <david at payneful.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:38:45AM -0300, Robert Ashley wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think we're talking the same 4-pin. What I'm referring to is a
>>> 4-pin connector which coming out of the back of the power cord bundle.
>>> A couple of things: 1) the wires (2 black, 2 red) are way too short to
>>> reach the sound card (only about 5-6 inches), and 2) there's no
>>> receptacle on the sound card which would fit this pin arrangement.

Could be connected to a tachometer to measure the PSU's fan speed, and a
thermistor to measure the temperature. I'd expect them to be two
connectors of 2 wires, though.

If they're the type to fit on jumper blocks (like, say, a PC speaker
connection) they're just signalling cables and probably aren't anything to
worry about. If they're keyed (like the connector for the motherboard
power plugs) then they're probably power plugs.

Cheers... Dop.