[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:53:33 ADT 2007

On 8/1/07, Eugene Cormier <eugene.cormier at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, 2007-01-08 at 00:24 -0300, Robert Ashley wrote:
>
> Here confirms the change:# /etc/fstab: static file system information./dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   auto user,noauto  &#-1;&#-1;  0       0
>
>  Eugene wrote:
> shouldn't it be?:
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   user,auto 0 0
>
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   auto user,noauto     0       0

Yeah, I musta messed up the copy/paste. It's correct, with the two zeros.

> Yup, an audio CD.  It spins but no output. Then a data CD. It powersup for 4 or 5 secs, stops, powers up, stops, powers up, stops...adinfinitum. Light blinks on (1/2 sec) at onset of power, then blinksoff.
> I had a hunch you were scratching your head on this "auto" thing,wondering why it didn't work. I decided to switch physical drivesagain, back to the original unit.
> Well, lo!! A data CD, a photo album archive, worked perfectly!! Woo hoo!!
> Now, inserting an audio disk prompts an audio disk icon to appear onthe desktop, something that wasn't happening before! I was hopeful,but unfortunately, the Gnome CDplayer wouldn't recognize it. Usingcdtools in the console, I could get the cddrive to play, pause, stopand eject, but no sound.
>
>  Eugene wrote:
> maybe it's not turned up (I assume you use Gnome so when you double click
> on the volume applet in the taskbar, click "edit" - "preferences" and make
> sure all are selected) ...then go through all appropriate faders...if you're
> not sure turn it up anyways :)
> maybe that'll help....but maybe the cd drive doesn't have the audio out
> hooked into the sound card

I'm pretty sure it's turned up. Checked the preferences. Everything works,
sound/volume wise on internet media, like streaming radio.

'Audio out' into the sound card? That wouldn't happen to be 4-pin (in a
line, two reds, two blacks) connector would it, the 4-pin connector dangling
(unplugged) from the cddrive power cable bundle? Sheesh, don't tell me!?

> I tried a different data CD I had burned awhile back. Worked perfect.Then I tried an Ubuntu disk (new), included in the last issue of LinuxWorld (User?).  Nothing, nada, rien.
>
>  Eugene wrote:
> I've gotten a few duds in linux mags....but it could be missing cdrom fs
> kernel modules??

Yeah, I've gotten some dud cds from mags too. But at least now, my regular
data cds I burned myself, work fine.

Bob

Cheers,